2006-06-08

My First Score; also, PCC, BIBCO, NACO, MOUG (a.k.a., LLA: Librarians Love Acronyms)

I started enhancing my first bibliographic record and corresponding authority records on Tuesday. I spent two hours with Ralph going over the basics. My first score is the Concerto for Piano and Orchestra, op. 33, by Dora Pejacevic (1913). Mine is a score for two pianos, one of which plays an orchestral reduction. I've been learning my way around OCLC Connexion Client version, which seems to me a much easier way to catalog than using Workflows' interface. It's fun, and I look forward to continuing my work on the title.

I've also been reading lots of documentation from the Library of Congress Program for Cooperative Cataloging, and its programs for creation and sharing of bibliographic records (BIBCO) and Name Authority Records (NACO). I've learned the Core Record Standards for books and printed music, and how to identify a record that has been created by a PCC-participating cataloger. With NACO, I read through many FAQs for the creation and maintenance of Name Authority Records (NARs), and I learned about NACO Funnel Projects, one of which is particularly important to my work here at Indiana University. We participate in the NACO Music Project, and Ralph is actually the project coordinator. I closely read through the NMP documentation, including the handbook, which helped me understand the presentation format of information in a 670 field of a NAR. Finally, I also read through "Types of Compositions for Use in Music Uniform Titles: A Manual for Use with AACR2 Chapter 25", a report of the MLA Working Group on Types of Compositions that helps the cataloger assign composition types using correct spellings, usage, etc.

Yesterday I received an email from the MLA Listserv, which said that the Music OCLC User Group (MOUG) is looking for a webmaster. I'm wondering if now would be the right time to jump into such a project. Taking a look at the MOUG website, they could definitely use a freshening. We'll see about it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home